Wishing you guys Happy Halloween - stay healthy, safe and as green as you can :-)
A few last minute ideas:
- stay local and walk
- invite friends over and serve self-made treats with real utensils, no disposables
- choose treats wisely
- save Halloween decorations for next year
Our family had a ton of fun today carving our first family pumpkin "Kuerbis". As per my older son's directions "he" has a mouth, chin, ears, eyes with eyebrows, and a little forehead.
I just made a pumpkin cake with the carved pieces. Tomorrow we'll roast the seeds. Reuse also goes for carving pumpkins!
Sorry the picture came out a bit dark. But boy, I wished you could smell it! I hope it tastes as good as it smells...
Here's the recipe for the cake:
- mix 2 1/2 cups of spelt flour with 1 tsp. baking powder and a tiny bit of salt, nutmeg and cinnamon
- blend 3 eggs, 1 cup coconut oil ,1 cup maple syrup and a few drops vanilla extract
- add about 2 cups baked (soft) pumpkin to the mixture and blend
- add the flour mix
- pour in baking dish and bake for about 45 - 50 minutes at 350 degrees (depending on your oven)
- check with toothpick to make sure it's done
Have fun trick-or-treating and Happy Halloween!